I know what you’re thinking. “There she goes ………. corn, again?” I know, I have posted tons of recipes with fresh sweet corn already, but there are just so many amazing things that can be done with it. I also keep reminding myself that, though it’s just the beginning of August, before we know it, the season will be turning once again. When those cool winds begin blowing and the trees are transformed into a magical kaleidoscope of golds, oranges and reds, here at The Café, we’ll be thrilled about warm spices, pumpkins, butternut squash, apples, candy corn, etc. But I love to live in the now ………. and now is the time for peaches, watermelon, blueberries, nectarines, zucchini and CORN! I think you’re gonna love this Warm Corn and Tomato Relish. I created it to go with a Molasses-Ginger Glazed Flat Iron Steak (see pic below) which I’ll be sharing on Monday, but I’m thinking of all kinds of other ways to enjoy it; as a delightful side with chicken, pork or seafood, in pitas or wraps and … as a bruschetta; just top crisp crostini with a bit of goat cheese or fresh ricotta, then add a scoop of this delightful relish.
It’s simple to put together with lightly steamed sweet corn*, diced tomato, white onion, garlic, fresh ginger, lots of chopped basil and a splash of lime juice. And for a little fun twist? Are you ready? A handful of golden raisins. They add a touch of sweetness, an element of surprise and are amazingly complimentary to the other ingredients.
This Warm Corn and Tomato Relish would also be great to bring to a picnic or potluck. I like to serve it warm when used as a side but it’s equally delicious served at room temperature (though you might need to change the name). Be sure to double the recipe – once your family/friends take a taste, they’ll be back for more. It will go like hotcakes!
P.S. Check back on Monday. We’ll be sharing a fabulous grilling recipe: Molasses-Ginger Glazed Flat Iron Steak. It’s melt-in-your-mouth tender and has a super delicious glaze/drizzling sauce that’s sweet, sticky, spicy all at the same time.
- ½ cup golden raisins
- 1 tablespoon water
- 4 ears fresh corn husked and lightly steamed. I love this easy method.*
- 1 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 clove garlic
- 2 teaspoons finely chopped or grated fresh ginger
- 1 tablespoon fresh lime juice
- 2 medium plum tomatoes cored, seeded and diced
- ½ medium white onion peeled and diced small
- 3 tablespoons fresh basil finely chopped
- ½ teaspoon sea salt
- Place raisins in a microwave-safe bowl. Add water and cover with plastic wrap. Microwave on high for 30 seconds. Remove from microwave and set aside to cool.
- Heat olive oil over medium heat in a medium-size, non-stick pan. Add garlic and ginger and cook for 20-30 seconds or until fragrant.
- Add corn and cook for 2 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat and add tomatoes, onion, prepared raisins, lime juice, fresh basil and salt. Stir to combine. Serve warm.